Meeting Minutes, Houston-Area ASA Chapter
Chapter meeting, September 10, 2014 12-2 PM at Jason’s Deli in Rice
Brandon Reddell, William Sikkima, Ed Nelson, Scott Robinson
We had lunch and discussed the
Chapter goals. Then Brandon led our discussion of David Wilcox’ article "Our
Genetic Prehistory: Did Genes Make Us Human?" from the June, 2014 PSCF. We all
learned a lot about this aspect of the creation, which we hope will make us
In our business meeting we
decided several things:
1. We will meet monthly, on the second Saturday of each month, from 12-2 PM.
2. We’ll meet at restaurants, but will seek a college venue to meet at.
3. Our next meeting will be the same format as this one – lunch and prayer &
planning, followed by a science-faith discussion of a PSCF article.
4. William will moderate our next meeting’s discussion. He'll poll the
members this week to decide on an article.
We also discussed what to put on the Chapter
website. We want these sections:
- Home page – lists our chapter goals, announcements, maybe list the active
- Prayer page – lists prayer requests for the chapter as a whole and for
individuals. These are our Chapter prayer needs:
- Prayer for this chapter and for us to make a difference
- Contacts with college students about science-faith issues
- Getting on a college campus and involving faculty members from a college in
- Events page – lists our meetings and special science-faith events in the
- Dr. James Tour of Rice University will be speaking about science-faith
issues at 7:30 PM on Sept. 20th at First Evangelical Lutheran Church at 1311
Holman (at Caroline, 1 mi. south of downtown)
- Chapter page – chapter business
- Chapter goals
- Chapter plans
- Minutes of meetings like this
- List of the members, with photos and bios (maybe)
items to which we committed:
- Scott will write up this summary and send it out.
- Brandon will post these minutes on the Chapter site, and make a start
at building up the site as described below
- William will create a Facebook page for the Houston Chapter, with a
link to the Chapter website, and he’ll post the same items there that Brandon
posts on the Chapter site.
- William will ask his friends at Rice if some of them would want to
join us. He’ll also check on possibilities of meeting on the Rice campus.
- Scott will follow up with James Jennings about meeting at restaurants
near the HBU campus, or on the HBU campus.
Yours in Christ,