The ASA leadership has been actively monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak.
In this dynamic and challenging time, we want to be clear on the steps the ASA is taking to reduce the impact on individuals and our programming.
The Lord has not given us a spirit of fear, so we begin this communication with a word from scripture: Timothy 1:7 says,
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
The words of Psalm 91 remind us to be grateful to our God who is in complete control.
In the midst of any chaos, God will be ever present and it is his wisdom, truth, and protection that we seek.
The many ways this virus is disrupting the lives of our members and families is heartbreaking, yet we trust in the Lord, knowing he will walk through this with us.
In light of this crisis, the ASA leadership is taking the following steps:
1. ASA 2020 Annual Meeting Was Cancelled
It is with regret and sadness that we cancelled ASA 2020, our annual meeting scheduled for July 24–27, 2020, at Point Loma Nazarene University.
In our 75 years of holding annual meetings, this is the first time we have ever had to do so.
The good news is that the meeting is being rescheduled for the summer of 2021 at the same location in beautiful San Diego, if conditions permit.
The complete program, The Gift of Scientia, the Body of Christ, and the Common Good: Scientists and Theologians Working Together, will be rolled over in its entirety.
The tentative dates (subject to change) are July 30–August 2, 2021.
All submissions of accepted abstracts will remain eligible for presentation, and we will be communicating separately with these presenters regarding specific details.
2. Chapter Meetings/Events
Chapter meetings/events are being held virtually over Zoom.
Local Chapters Coordinator Dana Oleskiewicz is communicating directly with local chapter leaders regarding these new protocols.
We will be posting regular updates on the ASA homepage as new information becomes available. Please check there for the latest information.
We are keenly aware of the vital role that the members of the ASA are playing in this difficult and challenging crisis.
Many of you are on the front lines in medical practice and research, delivering or seeking solutions, and living the daily pressure of solving this pandemic.
Others serve in pastoral roles and are ministering to the marginalized in our communities. Now more than ever, as a network of Christians in the sciences, the ASA is needed in the Kingdom.
We are a special community, and it’s imperative that we maintain this community spirit in this new world which has been thrust upon us.
The ASA prayer committee meets to spend time in prayer on behalf of our members, the organization as a whole, and the world at large.
Should you have any specific prayer requests, please let us know here and we will be happy to pray for you.
May the Lord grant you grace and vitality as we press forward, in his name, for our important future.
- ASA Member Assembly Meeting Video - "Reports from the Front Line of the COVID-19 Crisis"
- NIH Director and ASA member Francis Collins Podcast
- ASA Fellow Francis Collins Interview - NIH Director, "We're on an Exponential Curve"
- Christianity Today Article, "Christians, This Is Our Moment"
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- ASA Member Craig Story Article, "Coronavirus, What you should know"
- CSCA President Janet Warren, "Pandemics and Christian Faith"
- The Praxis Journal, Andy Crouch, "Love in the Time of Coronavirus"
- God and Nature Editor-in-Chief Sy Garte, "Should Christians 'Believe in Science' amid a Pandemic?"
- BioLogos: Tim Keller & Francis Collins, "Where is God in a Pandemic?"