Meeting Minutes, Houston-Area ASA Chapter
Second Chapter meeting, October 11, 2014 12-2 PM at El Ranchero, 5300 N. Braeswood Blvd, Houston, TX
Attending: Brandon Reddell, William Sikkima, Ed Nelson, Scott Robinson
We had lunch and discussed Chapter business; we accomplished all our action items from last month and decided on some more for this month.
Then Brandon held us spellbound telling us about his work studying radiation effects on integrated circuits and the current best ideas for protecting humans and computers from radiation in space. Even the International Space Station has an elevated risk for about 10 minutes as it passes through the South Atlantic Anomaly, a weak spot in the Earth’s magnetic field that lets the proton flux get slightly higher than elsewhere.
Then William led our discussion of David Wilcox’ article "Genetic Insights for Human Origins in Africa and for Later Neanderthal Contact" from the September, 2014 PSCF. We had a spirited discussion while William introduced us to how molecular clocks work.
A side discussion about how much we can connect Genesis account to historical scientific account of origins was unfinished, but we will continue it on Facebook with a link from our ASA website.
In our business meeting we decided several things:
1. We refined some concepts about the Web page and how it would link to the Facebook page William created for us. We will try to have the next meeting times prominent on the page so casual observers can find it.
2. We set our next two meeting dates: Nov. 8, Dec. 13
3. We are still seeking a way to meet on a campus like HBU or Rice. James Jennings is still going to talk to his HBU drama club about it, and Scott met some other HBU students who might be able to help.
4. We talked about having a special meeting on a campus while we wait for a way to meet on campus. We noted that to have a special meeting we would need to:
o Have a good speaker who is local; Dr. Elaine Eklund of Rice would be one
o Have a way to notify our target audience. One way would be to inform the leadership of the campus Christian organizations, to tell their members.
5. Ed Nelson will moderate our next meeting’s discussion. He'll poll the members this week to decide on an article.
Action items to which we committed:
- Scott will write up this summary and send it out.
- Brandon will post these minutes on the Chapter site
- William will keep the new Houston Chapter Facebook in sync with the Chapter website.
- Ed will poll the membership on which article to discuss next time, and will be prepared to lead the discussion.
- Brandon will create a discussion thread on Facebook to continue our discussion about the extent to which Genesis can be fit to the historical scientific account of origins.
- Scott will follow up with James Jennings and the other HBU students he’s met, about meeting on the HBU campus.