Minutes of ASA Houston-Area Chapter Restart Meeting
August 15, 2014
At Jason’s Deli in Rice Village, 12-2:30 PM
Present: Brandon Reddell, Steve Lindsay, Ed Nelson, James Jennings, Scott Robinson
Purpose: To meet each other for the first time and discuss our individual goals and interests for an ASA Chapter and what we think God wants us to do as a Chapter.
We had lunch and conversed about many topics. Then we turned to introducing ourselves. Each one told how they became a Christian and why they joined ASA. Then we discussed what we thought God wanted us to do as a group.
Planning for the group:
There were two common threads in our testimonies and why we joined ASA. They are:
1. To become better evangelists and apologists for the faith among our science-trained friends and coworkers, and
2. To build the presence of ASA at Houston college campuses, to bring them the good news that science and faith do not conflict.
We decided that we were willing to meet as a group periodically to further both of these goals.
- What: We’ll have lunch again, then discuss one of the articles in the latest PSCF (chosen ahead of time so everyone can read it), with a moderator who has read the article ahead of time to guide the discussion.
- When: Saturday Sept. 13th (second Saturday) from 12-2 PM.
- Where: Jason’s Deli in Rice Village again, or maybe at a restaurant near HBU
- How often: We’ll decide that at the next meeting.
Here are the action items we agreed to accomplish before our next meeting on Sept. 13:
1. Everyone will pray for the next meeting and for God to refine the two-pronged vision we have glimpsed, as we start to pursue it.
2. Brandon will serve as moderator at the next meeting, and will look over the articles and send out a note of possible topics, proposing the one he prefers (moderator’s choice weights pretty strongly). Then he’ll read it ahead of time so he’s prepared.
3. James will locate restaurants in the HBU area where we could meet.
4. James will invite two of his professors to our next meeting, so they can see what we do and hear about our desire to help HBU students hear the good news about science and faith.
5. Scott will write up the meeting summary (you’re reading it).
6. Brandon or Scott will update the ASA website with our new information.
7. Ed will join the ASA so he’ll have access to the PSCF journal as soon as it comes out, like the rest of us.