Our first CWIS Board of Directors was assembled during our opening months of operation, from July to November 2013.
At the button above, you will find descriptions of each of the seven Board members and their contact info.
Given that this was a brand new organization, to assemble a Board we relied on the Holy
Spirit for guidance,and the ASA Executive Council for feedback. In that process, our criteria evolved organically. We wanted women who have demonstrated
support for the ASA overall, who had shown a strong interest in the
mission of CWIS, and who thought they would have enough time to
participate on the Board. As to the best number, we were finally led to
try the biblical number of seven. Diversity on the Board seemed an
important criteria for us to be able to successfully serve our desired
audience, and we managed to put together a good group for our initial
Some Board members are professionally associated with secular
institutions, some from Christian institutions, and some with
professional experience in both.· We are university professors, government research managers, one person with consulting experience, and one student.·
We include a chemist, mechanical engineer, plant scientist, energy
analyst, integrative biologist, science educator, and aerospace
engineer.· We range in age from graduate student to retiree.· Our Board calls are convened across all four time zones in the United States.
As we agreed in our CWIS Charter, the duties of the Board are to:·
- Set policy and direction of Christian Women in Science.·
- Determine the proposed activities for the next year that Christian
Women in Science will initiate and sustain to achieve its mission and
goals for its stakeholder communities.·
- Recruit, select, train, motivate, and guide volunteers to implement these activities as needed.· Respond to suggestions for new or additional activities as they are offered by the membership or others.·
- As necessary, review official communications (blogs, newsletters,
website material, etc) of Christian Women in Science before publication
- Report periodically on activities to the membership and to the ASA leadership.
feel free to contact any of the Board members with questions or ideas.
We need your active participation to let us know what you need, what you
want, and how we are doing! Thanks for your support.