Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join ASA or sign up
Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

11/1/2014
70th Anniversary Celebratory Conference, Oxford, UK

11/4/2014
“Popularizing Science: Clerical Engagement with Science during the Age of Enlightenment,” Wheaton,

11/5/2014 » 11/7/2014
“Is Life Going Anywhere?: Creation-Biology, Randomness & Purpose,” Wenham, MA

11/7/2014 » 11/8/2014
“Intersections: Summit on Origins,” Roseville, MN

11/11/2014 » 11/15/2014
“Theology and Science of Creation,” Madrid, Spain

Episode 4 "A Sky Full of Ghosts"
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 |
Thread Actions

4/2/2014 at 9:37:58 PM GMT
"Also, I thought I saw briefly in Episode 3 where Tyson described how we know that Earth is 93 million miles from the Sun via triangulation or some other math but I was a little distracted at the moment and didn't catch it clearly. Anyone else catch the details?"

I don't remember Tyson going into much detail on that either, but his mention of it could have involved observing the exact angular location of the moon to the sun at the moon's exact half-phase. Using simple trigonometry you can then at least get the ratio of the solar distance to the lunar distance. Then all you have to know how far away the moon is. Tyson could have laid out the right triangles and explained it fairly simply, but actually I don't even remember him saying as much as what I just explained above. They may be gun-shy about foisting any math off on an aspiring show. Too bad, really.

Assuming the interested intelligence of your audience should be one of the hallmarks of great presentations.

Last edited Friday, April 04, 2014
4/2/2014 at 9:39:59 PM GMT
Sorry -- I forgot to put that first paragraph into quotes. That was a bit of your query that prompted my response, Mr. Furman.