“Exploring New Heights for Science & Stewardship,” Golden, CO

7/28/2017 » 7/31/2017
2017 ASA Annual Meeting

8/3/2017 » 8/5/2017
“The American Experiment: A Republic, If You Can Keep It,” Pasadena, CA

9/6/2017
Outreach Event, Merritt Island, FL.

9/9/2017 » 9/10/2017
Reasons to Believe, Maryland Heights, MO.

Episode 1 "Standing Up in the Milky Way"
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 |
Thread Actions

6/22/2015 at 6:59:05 AM GMT
On the smallness of man, but the majesty of God

I live outside the US and don't have a TV, so I could not watch this, though I have seen other things by Tyson occasionally.  Nevertheless, on the matter of "smallness", that alone is something that we have understood throughout the ages. 

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
   the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
   human beings that you care for them?

You have made them a little lower than the angels 
   and crowned them with glory and honour
You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
   you put everything under their feet:
all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild,
   the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas

Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
(Psalm 8:3-9)

So it is a matter of perspective.  Those of us who believe in God, look to the heavens and we see God's hand.  We see how small we are, and we can also wonder why God considers us worth anything.  We have the intelligence to figure things out and appreciate the beauty and simplicity of the universe.  That does put us "close to the angels".  We have even more power over the earth than in the time of King David. God has granted us authority over all, though unfortunately, we haven't understood that that also means responsibility.

Some, of course, see this understanding and authority over the earth as reasons to deny God, but I think this is where knowledge, understanding and power can also become an idol.  Man is not worthy of worship, and even the best of our understanding is but filthy rags. Though knowledge and power can bring delusions of greatness to the inebriated mind, so it also can inspire humility and a deeper love and gratefulness for the Creator. Let us hope that this walk will make us more humble each day, more appreciative of the gifts we have been granted (undeserved), and more conscious of the duty we have to respect these blessings.  We relish the power, but we forget quickly that those who are "teachers" will be held to greater account in the kingdom of heaven. 

So on smallness, It finally comes down to a matter of perspective and faith.

Last edited Monday, June 22, 2015