Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join ASA or sign up
Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

10/25/2014
“The Bible, Evolution, and Human Origins: Starting Conversations,” Claremont, CA

11/1/2014
70th Anniversary Celebratory Conference, Oxford, UK

11/5/2014 » 11/7/2014
“Is Life Going Anywhere?: Creation-Biology, Randomness & Purpose,” Wenham, MA

11/7/2014 » 11/8/2014
“Intersections: Summit on Origins,” Roseville, MN

11/11/2014 » 11/15/2014
“Theology and Science of Creation,” Madrid, Spain

Colorado/western US fires
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/28/2012 at 12:27:27 AM GMT
Colorado/western US fires

On behalf of all ASA'ers, I'd like to express our deep concern and our prayers for the safety of our members and their families in Colorado and other affected states with these unprecedented fires. The threat is not only physical life and possessions but psychological, emotional, and spiritual trauma. As scientists, we are concerned about the factors causing so many intense fires and, after these fires are contained, we need to work to reduce the potential for any recurrence. As Christians, we seek to care for one another and reach out with a loving and helping hand.

If any of you are directly affected, please share your experiences in this forum.

6/28/2012 at 2:11:30 AM GMT
Randy, thanks for alerting us all!  My prayers also go out to those affected--the people, the places, the ecosystems, the creatures. 

6/28/2012 at 2:45:32 AM GMT
Report from ASA Rocky Mt. Board

Dear Randy,

Thank you very much for the concern you have expressed regarding the catastrophic fires now burning in Colorado, especially the Waldo Fire in Colorado Springs. As you know we have over a dozen ASA members near the affected areas (Boulder and Colorado Springs). The one I have been in contact with is Allan Harvey who works at NIST. NIST was evacuated yesterday but it is at the northern edge of the Flagstaff Fire. He is doing fine. Richard Blinne who lives in Ft. Collins has a daughter at CU whose dorm is close to the fire line. She has been in a pre-evacuation state. We have no communications from our members in the Colorado Springs area. Today was the first day where the humidity increased and we had some good rain showers in our area as well as Boulder, but not in Colorado Springs, where the situation continues to be very serious. Expert fire fighters call it a "forest fire of epic proportions”. As for the rest of us (Indian Hills, Golden, Denver) we have been spared the ravages of these fires so far, but the danger remains extreme. One wrong lightening bolt could start a fire anywhere in our vicinity. As I wrote to you yesterday, we are prepared to evacuate within 30 minutes. We have some boxes packed and a list of essentials which we can pick up quickly. We even did a ‘dry run’ to make sure we can exit quickly. Thank you for your prayers. We hope and pray that the ‘high’ which is sitting over Colorado will soon move and the temperatures will return to normal levels, along with some much needed moisture. Cheers,  Ken Touryan (ASA Fellow)

6/28/2012 at 3:53:52 AM GMT
Waldo Canyon Fire

This link provides detailed information and maps of the fire:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2929/

I received the following report this evening from a personal friend who lives in Colorado Springs.

The fire came down into town late yesterday afternoon and burned around a hundred homes. That’s on the NW side and we are across town on the NE side. They don’t expect conditions to improve for some time. It’s up to 15K+ acres today. God’s garden, as I call it, hasn’t burned and I’m praying not because I have some real special places there. It is closed though. You can see on the map how close fire is. All the parks are closed. Flying W Ranch burnt to the ground, HWY 24 up to woodland park is closed. Everything from about midtown (north to south) is evacuated west of the interstate from fillmore north to county line road. Some 32,000+ people! It’s just not too good here right now sorry to say.

6/28/2012 at 4:20:39 PM GMT
RE: Colorado/western US fires
R. Isaac said:

On behalf of all ASA'ers, I'd like to express our deep concern and our prayers for the safety of our members and their families in Colorado and other affected states with these unprecedented fires. The threat is not only physical life and possessions but psychological, emotional, and spiritual trauma. As scientists, we are concerned about the factors causing so many intense fires and, after these fires are contained, we need to work to reduce the potential for any recurrence. As Christians, we seek to care for one another and reach out with a loving and helping hand.

If any of you are directly affected, please share your experiences in this forum.

A good friend of mine lost his home to the High Park Fire. He won't be rebuilding. He mentioned how in the past decade the mountains are radically different place. Every fire season you are now on pins and needles when before it was an afterthought. The Pine Bark beetle has become an epidemic in the Rocky Mountains making a part of the one two punch with the heat and dryness. When I purchased my home in 1989 I was told by realtor that in Colorado AC was unnecessary. You just opened your windows at night. Now we had a record-breaking five consecutive days of over 100. Four times Denver hit an all time record of 105 degrees. Two of those days were this week and one was in 2005 and one was in the 19th Century.

This is not merely anecdotal. Note these two studies.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/316/5828/1181.abstract

<blockquote>How anthropogenic climate change will affect hydroclimate in the arid regions of southwestern North America has implications for the allocation of water resources and the course of regional development. Here we show that there is a broad consensus among climate models that this region will dry in the 21st century and that the transition to a more arid climate should already be under way. If these models are correct, the levels of aridity of the recent multiyear drought or the Dust Bowl and the 1950s droughts will become the new climatology of the American Southwest within a time frame of years to decades.</blockquote>

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/50/21277.short

<blockquote>Climate models robustly predict that the climate of southwestern North America, defined as the area from the western Great Plains to the Pacific Ocean and from the Oregon border to southern Mexico, will dry throughout the current century as a consequence of rising greenhouse gases. This regional drying is part of a general drying of the subtropics and poleward expansion of the subtropical dry zones. Through an analysis of 15 coupled climate models it is shown here that the drying is driven by a reduction of winter season precipitation associated with increased moisture divergence by the mean flow and reduced moisture convergence by transient eddies. Due to the presence of large amplitude decadal variations of presumed natural origin, observations to date cannot confirm that this transition to a drier climate is already underway, but it is anticipated that the anthropogenic drying will reach the amplitude of natural decadal variability by midcentury. In addition to this drop in total precipitation, warming is already causing a decline in mountain snow mass and an advance in the timing of spring snow melt disrupting the natural water storage systems that are part of the region’s water supply system. Uncertainties in how radiative forcing will impact the tropical Pacific climate system create uncertainties in the amplitude of drying in southwest North America with a La Niña-like response creating a worst case scenario of greater drying.</blockquote>

When you look in the details of the papers it gets even scarier. This is climate change in its more radical form. The mechanisms of our climate are changing. Drought will no longer be something that comes and goes with La Ninas  but will be a permanent fixture of the climate. This Spring and Summer will become the "new normal". We may also be witnessing the mass extinction of our forests in the mountains. The natures of the wildfires is different. Instead of clearing out the underbrush these are crown fires. So, even the normal positive aspects of Western fires will be gone. While Rio+20 fiddled Colorado burned.

6/29/2012 at 11:42:57 PM GMT
Positives from the Fire
One of the positives of the fire has been how it has brought the community together. Here is what my church is doing. This is just a small part of what others are doing. http://www.faithefc.org/High_Park_Fire.htm Here the largest church in Fort Collins expresses our corporate gratitude for the fire fighters and first responders. http://vimeo.com/44469222