Featured Members

Artifical Intelligents and Reductionism
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/27/2012 at 12:29:28 AM GMT
Artifical Intelligents and Reductionism
I would like to know how Christians would respond to people who claim that technology such as Artifical Intelligences, Mind Uploading,Brain/Computer interface and Artifical conciousness? Now I am a christian myself but I have ran over this issue and I am kind of stumped by it. If somebody can create a human just like us that has morality and can reason then where do we go from there. We are no longer unique becuase we are nothing but neurons firing off. We can say good bye to the idea of an afterlife because there will be no soul to go to heaven. Also with Cloneing the fact that we can Clone something; what does that mean for the clone can it go to heaven, will it have religious experiences? AI just opens a who bunch of questions that can ruin our need for God. 

6/27/2012 at 11:03:27 AM GMT
What you are asking about is called the mind-body problem: What is the relationship between myself and my body? The following quote could have been made by Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and all the other professional atheists: 

And certain properties of the human brain distinguish our species from all other animals. The human brain is, after all, the only known collection of matter that tries to understand itself. To most biologists, the brain and the mind are one and the same; understand how the brain is organized and how it works, and we’ll understand such mindful functions as abstract thought and feelings. Some philosophers are less comfortable with this mechanistic view of mind, finding Descartes’ concept of a mind-body duality more attractive. (Neil Campbell, Biology, 4th edition, p. 776 )

I went to a Catholic college and am intelligent enough to grasp and formulate four solutions to the mind-brain question: 1) Dualism (spiritual substances exist), 2) Materialism (the mind is an illusion), 3) Idealism (the brain is an illusion), 4) It is a mystery. 

# 4 is the theory judged to be true by rational people. This is why humans are embodied spirits. There is more evidence for # 2 than for # 1, but there is even more evidence for # 3. Atheists only grasp # 1 and # 2. They fail, not at the level of reflective judgment, but at the level of intelligence. 

David Roemer

6/27/2012 at 1:42:57 PM GMT
Article: Humanity 2.0

Dear Billy:

Check out the following article, which was published in our latest issue of God and Nature magazine. It's all about transhumanism and Christianity. 

http://godandnature.asa3.org/column-modern-frontiers-ancient-faith.html

You may want to read God and Nature in your spare time if you have questions like these; some of them may already be answered by our writers!

Best,

Emily