Calendar

7/21/2014 » 7/31/2014
C.S. Lewis Summer Institute, Oxford & Cambridge, England

7/25/2014 » 7/28/2014
“From Cosmos to Psyche: All Things Hold Together in Christ,” Hamilton, ON

7/25/2014 » 7/28/2014
2014 ASA CSCA CiS Annual Meeting

7/26/2014
“Science & Faith: Friends or Foes?,” Alaskan cruise. Sponsor: Discovery Institute

7/28/2014
“Academy Regained,” McMaster University and Redeemer University College, Hamilton, ON

Featured Members

RE:
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/26/2012 at 7:51:19 PM GMT
RE:
D. Roemer said:
We certainly do not agree about item # 2. The AJP articles give incorrect entropy equations and imply that adding heat to a system can decrease its entropy.

To the question, "Why did God make sin possible?, there are three answers depending on who is asking.

1. There is a higher good that God is achieving, like parents who let their children play outside for the sake of their character development even though they might get hurt. We don’t know what this higher good is, but it must be there. This answer is for people who believe in God and are trying to get to heaven.
  2. Sin has no status in being. Being is good and evil is just the absence of good. For people trying to refute the cosmological argument for God’s existence.
  3. For someone who is explaining why they don’t believe in God, this is a good reason. Most people who don’t believe give bad reasons. When someone gives a good reason, it should be acknowledged.

An example of perfect communication is when God reveals truths to mankind. The communication is perfect because all human beings believe exactly what God wants them to believe.

For people who are not baptized and don’t have mystical experiences, union with God comes after death.

Finite beings are a composition of essence and existence. Our existence is the principle that makes us exist. Our essence is the principle that limits our existence and makes us the particular being that we are. God is a pure act of existence without a limiting essence.

These comments help me a great deal. I can now more easily see how we differ and perhaps that will lead to a better understanding of each other, at least for me.

Regarding #2 I would suggest from our previous posts that we both see the AJP article I read as a case being made against the creationist position that evolution violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.  I realize that you see the argument as not only flawed but intentionally misleading.  I can't honestly agree or disagree without investigating it further.  But I still think we agree on #2, that the articles were written with the intent to argue against the typical creationist position.

I find this answer to be most helpful: "An example of perfect communication is when God reveals truths to mankind. The communication is perfect because all human beings believe exactly what God wants them to believe."

It appears to me from this passage that you take a more restricted view of grace than I.  Essentially you seem to me to be saying that man cannot resist God's grace.  If God chooses to make him believe, he will believe.  Those that God does not choose are eternally doomed.  If I am incorrect in this assumption I would appreciate an explanation.  

If people believe exactly what God wants them to believe, why all the effort to convince the caretakers of AJP to change their position?  Do they really have a choice in the matter?

In your discussion of God's essence, and throughout your most recent message, I see you saying that God is good .  How do you do interpret 1 John 4?  "He who does not love does not know God, for God is love (1 John 4:8)." and "And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him (1 John 4:16)."

Last edited Monday, March 26, 2012