Featured Members

AJP and the Bible...
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/21/2012 at 8:05:04 PM GMT
AJP and the Bible...

To be clear I take you to be saying that AJP, and the portion of the academy it represents, and not a particular author, are specifically targeting the Bible by publishing this article.  Again, I am not an expert in the field but it seems to me that they are publishing the view of an author (or perhaps authors) who contends that evolution does not violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.  It appears to me that there are folks that are part if ASA, who are Trinitarians, take the Bible to be God's word, are career biological scientists who tend to share the perspective presented in the AJP article.  

I'm sorry but I have a hard time jumping to the conclusion that this biological position on the 2nd Law constitutes an attack on the Bible.  Seems to me it is an attack on a particular interpretation of the biological implications of the 2nd Law and open for healthy debate regardless of a faith position.   Perhaps the problem is that a scientific question like this doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of faith, a little like discussing marriage in heaven.  The author obviously takes a position against creationist positions who claim that the 2nd Law is violated by evolution.

For me the Trinity boils down to the passage in 1 John 4 "God is Love." For God to be Love, there must be the authority and will to love, the power to love, and a physical presence express it to the beloved.  Love is fundamentally relational and the Trinity flows from the relationship between the Father, Holy Spirit and the Son.  That God would choose to invite us to be part of that family and make it possible through Jesus Christ is the Good News of the Bible.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, except to say that the 2nd Law expresses God's amazing love for us because it makes life, consciousness and breath possible.

Last edited Wednesday, March 21, 2012