“Science and Religion in the Local Church,” Cambridge, England

1/13/2015
“Identity, self-esteem and the Image of God,” Cambridge, England

1/17/2015
Agriculture: Science & Christian Ethics, Paris, France

2/7/2015
2015 Winter Day Conference - So Calif Christians in Science

2/17/2015
“Global Access Conference: Where Disabilities & Possibilities Meet,” Westlake Village, CA

RE:
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/14/2012 at 3:54:22 AM GMT
RE:
D. Roemer said:
. . .

I am under the impression that 90% of the members of the Christians in Science are not orthodox Christians, who believe in the trinity, but liberal Christians, who think believing in life after death is irrational. One reason for this is that no one on this website or that of your sister organization, the American Scientific Affiliation, are supporting my efforts to get the American Journal of Physics to put an end to the damage being done by the two articles criticizing creationism and promoting Darwinism.

In the light of Christian doctrine, "the Word” in John’s gospel can be a reference to Jesus and the doctrine of the trinity. However, talking about the trinity in front of atheists is like speculating about the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

The interpretation that gives atheists a reason to believe in God is that the "Word” is the concept of the universe in God’s mind before God created the universe. The discovery of the Big Bang in the 1960s is a sign that God was the primary author of the Bible. 

While I appreciate your efforts to hold the American Journal of Physics accountable for an unnecessarily narrow view, I would caution you against characterizations of the doctrinal positions of the members of ASA or any other organization without thorough investigation.  I think you might find, as I have, that there are many Trinitarians that also endorse evolutionary theory.  

If someone were to ask me if I believe in the Trinity I would answer in the affirmative.  I am not a scholar of theology but as I understand it, the Trinity became part of orthodoxy in AD 325 at the Council of Nicea.  At that time even in orthodoxy there were various conceptions of what it meant. I would not be surprised if you found, as I have, quite a few very thoughtful views on the Trinity that would fall as much within the bounds of orthodoxy as those at the Council of Nicea.

I, for one, would like to support you in your efforts to encourage the AJP to avoid aligning themselves with narrow views on a cross disciplinary topic like this.  I seems to me that physicists are experts in the Second Law of Thermodynamics and biologists work to understand the implications of that law in biological organisms.  Complexity scientists and systems scientists also have important perspectives.  That's one of the things I love about ASA.  The conversation between these parties, in my opinion, would be better served if doctrinal positions on the Trinity were not used to stifle the conversation.  

I think there may be others here that are essentially in your corner and would like to see your arguments refined and strengthened through conversations and debate.  Please accept my apologies if I am overstepping on behalf of anyone here. For the record I work in the field of learning science and the psychometrics of learning analytics.

Last edited Wednesday, March 14, 2012