Calendar

9/3/2014 » 9/7/2014
Wonders of Science, Marshalltown, IA

9/5/2014 » 9/6/2014
“Truth for a New Generation,” Spartanburg, SC

9/19/2014
Human Sexuality Conference, Bartlesville, OK

9/19/2014
“Darwin, Dawkins and the Divine: Why is biology at the heart of the New Atheism?,” Cambridge, UK

9/21/2014
“Science & Faith: Are They Really in Conflict?,” simulcast multiple locations

Featured Members

Bible and Science Class Educational Resources
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/7/2012 at 10:43:43 AM GMT
Bible and Science Class Educational Resources
I would suggest e-mailing Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu) I'm sure he checks these forums, but I don't know how often. He is a historian of science and has written quite a bit on relevant topics. 

For a somewhat speculative topic, which might be of interest because it may have been the first interaction of science and Christian theology, I have seen hints in quotes from some of the Christian fathers that there was some disagreement about whether to accept the Greek scientific result that the earth is a sphere, given that the Old Testament perspective seems to be a flat earth with a solid firmament. The Wikipedia article on Flat Earth is where I encountered some of this. I suspect that the famous Augustine quote from his book about Genesis admonishing that Christians not show themselves ignorant of technical matters lest their listeners assume that their theology was bogus too was actually a response to this controversy, but I don't know of any scholarly treatment of this.