“Science and Religion in the Local Church,” Cambridge, England

1/13/2015
“Identity, self-esteem and the Image of God,” Cambridge, England

1/17/2015
Agriculture: Science & Christian Ethics, Paris, France

2/7/2015
2015 Winter Day Conference - So Calif Christians in Science

2/17/2015
“Global Access Conference: Where Disabilities & Possibilities Meet,” Westlake Village, CA

A Petition for your consideration
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/18/2012 at 2:28:07 PM GMT
A Petition for your consideration

I have done some research near the arctic and I have taught environmental biology, so I received this email.

The petition certainly seems to align with our objectives of being notable stewards of our environment and PEW Charitable Trust generally aligns with our thinking. There can be no doubt that the studies called for are needed before it is too late.  All we have to do is look at the fisheries further south in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans to see the consequences of unstudied and unregulated fisheries versus those of studied and regulated fisheries.

I offer it to those of you who might want to consider signing it ---

From: Pew Environment Group - Int'l Arctic Program [mailto:Pew_Environment_Group_Int_l_Arct@mail.vresp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:39 PM

Subject: Sign a Letter for an Int’l Arctic Fisheries Agreement Dear Colleague,

The Arctic Ocean's permanent ice is diminishing due to climate change, potentially opening the international waters of the central Arctic Ocean to commercial fishing. Because these waters are not currently governed by an international fisheries agreement, international action is needed to ensure that commercial fishing does not start ahead of science and management.

The Pew Environment Group's International Arctic Program has worked with several prominent scientists to draft a letter asking Arctic governments to develop an international agreement to address fisheries in the central Arctic Ocean based on sound scientific and precautionary principles. We are looking for others who are able to provide support in this effort.

Go  to http://oceansnorth.org/support-international-arctic-fisheries-agreement to read and sign the letter.

Sincerely,

Henry P. Huntington, Ph.D.
Arctic Science Director, Pew Environment Group

Other Signers Include:David Barber, Ph.D.
Centre for Earth Observation Science, University of Manitoba, CanadaJackie Grebmeier, Ph.D.
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, USAAlan Springer, Ph.D.
School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of Fairbanks Alaska, USA
Stanislav Ye. Belikov, Ph.D.
All-Russian Research Institute for Nature Protection, Moscow, RussiaPeter Rask Møller, Ph.D.
Natural History Museum of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, DenmarkPaul Wassmann, Ph.D.
Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics, University of Tromsø, Norway
M.V. Flint, Ph.D.
Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, RussiaDaniel Pauly, Ph.D.
Fisheries Centre & Zoology Department, University of British Columbia, Canada .

7/17/2012 at 2:25:28 AM GMT
petition

Thanks for this post.  I heartily support anything that helps preserve fisheries.