Christian Women in Science
Christian Women in Science (CWIS) is a brand new organization launched on July 22, 2013.
We are an affiliate group of the American Scientific Affiliation (asa3.org
), a long-standing organization dedicated to networking and dialogue among Christians involved in science. Even though we are just getting started, we have great enthusiasm to encourage and support women who are Christians to consider and sustain careers in science, technology, engineering and math!
Many women have already become involved with CWIS, and offered great ideas. We are in the process of forming a CWIS Board to provide direction to the group and organize volunteers to lead the initial activities. The first year activities will include at least these ideas:
· Setting up a web-based way to bring potential mentors and mentees together
· Developing and posting personal stories of Christian women leaders in science to provide role models
· Using a blog and forum to discuss questions and offer insights
· Having some women-centered activities at the 2014 ASA national conference near Toronto.
We’ve also talked about helping to start up local chapters wherever Christian women in science want to get together; partnering with other Christian groups and other scientific groups, including those for students on college campuses; putting together a women speaker’s list; coaching women in their presentation and speaking skills to enable them to speak more boldly to their church and science groups about their passions; and providing support and information for women in various challenging situations in their lives and careers.
So join us! See the box below for details.
What You Can Do Now
· Join Christian Women in Science (CWIS)! If you are an ASA (American Scientific Affiliation) member already, sign in go to the CWIS page and click on "Join Group" to make yourself a member of the CWIS group.
· If you are not an ASA member, first join ASA as a member or follower on the ASA website asa3.org. Then join the group as above
· Share this link via your own email lists and organizations and encourage women to get involved. We will be adding more content soon.
· Tell us what areas you are most interested in, and where you might be able to help. For now, just please let me know at email@example.com .